New Delhi, September 19, 2023 – The Bar Council of India (BCI) is set to host the highly-anticipated International Lawyers’ Conference 2023, themed “Emerging Challenges in Justice Delivery System.” This two-day event will take place on September 23-24, featuring a prestigious lineup of legal experts and dignitaries from India and around the world.
– Location: Hall 5, Vigyan Bhawan
– Address: Maulana Azad Road, Rajpath Area, Central Secretariat, New Delhi
– The conference will be live-streamed on the BCI YouTube and Facebook channels.
– To attend the conference, participants should scan the QR code found in the conference brochure.
Global Collaboration in Legal Affairs
In collaboration with the Bar Council of England and Wales, the Law Society of England and Wales, and the Commonwealth Lawyers Association, the BCI aims to address pressing issues in the justice delivery system. The conference will be held at Vigyan Bhawan, Maulana Azad Road, Rajpath Area, Central Secretariat, New Delhi.
Distinguished Guests and Inauguration
The conference will be inaugurated on September 23 by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi. Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud will grace the inauguration ceremony as the Chief Guest. Notable figures including Union Minister in charge of Law and Justice, Arjun Ram Meghwal, and Alex Chalk KC MP, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, UK, will attend as Guests of Honor.
The Attorney General of India, R Venkataramani, and Solicitor General, Tushar Mehta, will also participate in the event. The conference will conclude on September 24 with a Valedictory Session, attended by Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation, Amit Shah.
A Multifaceted Legal Gathering
This conference will bring together a wide array of dignitaries, including Bhupender Yadav, Union Labour and Employment and Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister; esteemed Supreme Court judges like Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul, Sanjiv Khanna, and PS Narasimha; Samuel Townend, Chair-elect, Bar Council of England and Wales, UK; and Peter D Maynard, President of the Commonwealth Lawyers’ Association.
BCI Chairman, Manan Kumar Mishra, stated, “The two-day event will feature esteemed Hon’ble Judges, eminent legal scholars, distinguished experts, international delegates, and accomplished practitioners, providing a forum for engaging discourse and the sharing of valuable knowledge and experiences. Additionally, the conference will facilitate networking opportunities, allowing participants to establish meaningful connections with peers from across the globe.”
Technical Sessions for Knowledge Sharing
The two-day conference will host ten technical sessions, each focusing on a critical aspect of the legal profession and justice system. Here’s a glimpse of some of these sessions:
1. Global Law for Global Issues: International Legal Solutions
– Chaired by Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul, MM Sundresh, and Bela M Trivedi.
– Speakers include Justice TS Sivagnanam, Chief Justice of Calcutta HC; Justice Ashutosh Kumar, judge of Patna High Court; Senior Advocate and Rajya Sabha member, P Wilson; Lubna Shuja, President of the Law Society of England and Wales; and Nishith Desai, Senior Advocate at Bombay High Court (NDA).
2. Access to Justice and Legal Aid in Developing Nations
– Chaired by Justices BR Gavai, Aniruddha Bose, and Rajesh Bindal.
– Speakers include Justice Sapna Pradhan Malla, judge of the Supreme Court of Nepal; Justice Sanjay Kumar Mishra, Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court; and Peter D Maynard, President of the Commonwealth Lawyers’ Association.
3. Justice Delivery System: The Impact of Social Media
– Chaired by Justices JK Maheshwari and Sanjay Karol.
– Speakers include Justice Aparesh Kumar Singh, Chief Justice of the Tripura High Court; and Senior Advocates Rana Mukherjee and S Guru Krishna Kumar.
4. Alternative Dispute Resolution in International Transactions
– Chaired by Supreme Court judge, Justice Hima Kohli.
– Speakers include Senior Advocates Pramod Nair, Darius J Khambata, Rakesh Khanna, and CU Singh; and Samuel Townend, Chair-elect of the Bar Council of England and Wales.
5. Artificial Intelligence: Transforming the Legal Landscape
– Chaired by Justices PS Narasimha, Aravind Kumar, and Delhi High Court judge, Justice Rajiv Shakder.
– Speakers include Additional Solicitors General of India and Senior Advocates, SV Raju, and Aishwarya Bhati; Amit Dubey, National Security Expert and Crime Investigator on Cyber Forensics and Ethical Hacking.
6. Intellectual Property Rights in a Borderless World
– Chaired by Supreme Court judge, Justice KV Vishwanathan, and Delhi High Court judge, Justice Manmohan.
– Speakers include Justice Suman Shyam, judge of Gauhati High Court; Senior Advocate and Additional Solicitor General of India, Vikramjit Banerjee, and Senior Advocate Saikrishna Rajagopal.
7. The Changing Landscape of Criminal Law
– Chaired by Justices Surya Kant and Prashant Kumar Mishra.
– Speakers include Former Advocate General of Punjab and Senior Advocate RS Cheema; Senior Advocate and Chairman of the Bar Council of Bihar, Ramakant Sharma; and Senior Advocates Amit Desai, Siddharth Luthra, and Dayan Krishnan.
8. Equal Opportunity in Building a Sustainable Legal Profession – Way Forward
– Chaired by Justices Hrishikesh Roy, CT Ravikumar, and Dipankar Dutta.
– Speakers include Madras High Court judge, Justice Dr. Anita Sumanth; Delhi High Court judge, Justice Rekha Palli; Calcutta High Court judge, Justice Moushumi Bhattacharya; Senior Advocate Manindra Acharya; and Senior Advocate and former Advocate General of Maharashtra, Ashutosh A Kumbhakoni.
9. Evolving Role of Legal Professionals/Institutions
– Chaired by Justice Ahsanuddin Amanullah of the Supreme Court of India, Chief Justice N Kotiswar Singh of the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh, and Chief Justice Prasanna B Varale of the Karnataka High Court.
– Speakers include Former Supreme Court judge, Justice MR Shah (keynote speaker); Senior Advocate and Rajya Sabha member, Vivek Tankha; Senior Advocate and Advocate General of Bihar, Prashant Kumar Shahi; and Senior Advocates Lalit Bhasin, and Mohit Saraf.
10. Future of Legal Education: The Next Generation Lawyer
– Chaired by Justices AS Oka and Ujjal Bhuyan, judges of the Supreme Court of India.
– Speakers include Chief Justice Sandeep Mehta of the Gauhati High Court; Prof (Dr.) R Venkata Rao, VC, IIULER Goa; Prof (Dr.) Sudhir Krishnaswamy, Vice-Chancellor of NLSIU, Bangalore; Prof (Dr.) C Raj Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of the OP Jindal Global University; and Kari Abdoul Bagui, President of the Pan African Lawyers Union.